Trims………………………………………………………………………………………………………..set

Mixture…………………………………………………………………….………………………………rich

Spark………………………………………………………………………………………………….advance

Fuel……………………………………………………………………………………………………..reserve

Flaps………………………………………………………………………………………..……..as required

Magnetos……………………………………………………………………………………………….…both

Controls……………………………………………………………………………………………….checked

Harnesses……………………………………………………………………………………………….secure

I use about 30 inches manifold pressure (not to work the engine too hard), and increase the power slowly and smoothly. The tail comes up pretty quickly, and I let the airplane fly itself off about 45-50 knots (don’t try to haul it off). Accelerate in ground effect to about 70 knots and climb away. Select fuel to main above 1500 feet.

Cruise about 1900 RPM, an (depending on your prop) that gives about 90 knots. Endurance is about 2 hours plus a reserve of 45 minutes (don’t try to stretch this).

Approach about 60 knots on final, and touch down at 50. I usually don’t use flaps (for takeoff or landing) as they seem to blank airflow over the elevator. Limit crosswind to maximum 10 knots, as it will easily swing with the narrow gear track. Flaps and crosswind is a bad combination.

Rudder is very effective from about 10 knots.

Weaknesses of the airplane are the brakes (absolutely for taxying only), and the narrow gear track. Make sure your mechanic checks the oleos and gear legs regularly.

Tires are hard to find (3 inch Goodyear airwheels) but I got adaptor plates made to take 4 inch Cub tires, available from Desser.

Supercharger seals (leather) tend to leak after a while, and are hard to obtain.

Many Menasco’s have a mod done to install an oil shutoff valve, to prevent oil draining down into cylinders. Ensure this is installed in such a way that you cannot close the cowl access door unless the shutoff is turned on.

Grease the rockers every 10-15 hours, as they throw a fair bit of grease.

You won’t find a sweeter machine!

• 2 years later...

Hello Guy,

I have just started flying my newly restored STM-S2, s/n 458. I have read your comments on the prop giving an airspeed of 90 knots. At the moment I'm running a Sensenich W80R-70, which I gather should be an R-72 for this version. I'm only getting 100mph (87 knots), whereas everything I've read from the original books says I should be getting 138mph (120 knots) in the cruise at sea level. Any ideas? Sensenich say the R-72 prop will only make a cruise difference of 3-6 mph.

Efrem

Archived