Curious on value of PT-22 project.

crossfeed22

Hi all. I know a person interested in selling a complete PT-22 project... 2 engines, one low time rebuilt. Fuselage needs to be reskinned if going to be polished, or painted does not need reskinning. Wings need covering. Stainless flying wires, has been apart for 30 plus years. I was wondering what this would be worth, roughly. The plane was featured in an old 'Ripcord' episode (not that it adds any value to the price). Thanks.

lots of things to consider . If engine has been sitting a long time, calendar, it will need O/H, low time or not, Hours. Engine can be R55 or R56, 56 is worth more. Wing spars in need of replacement or not? ALL pieces accounted for, and I mean ALL. ANY damage to aircraft needs to be considered. In a cases like this I always work backwards.....Complete flying aircraft value and start subtracting the cost of what needs to be done and what is missing. Covering cost, engine O/H cost, ANY structural repair cost and so on. Often times you find it will cost you more to complete this aircraft than you can purchase a flying one! This is a labor of love! A propeller alone will set you back several thousands of dollars. Engine O/H could be 20K or more. Polishing as much as 10K......lots to consider, unless you just have to have it, and have the TIME and TALENT to get her flying again! My project took 2 years, which is quick. Most take several years, if not 20 or 30 like this one. I don't mean to discourage you, just inform you....it is a lot of work, and a labor of love. Don't think you can make money on a PT22 project, more now than ever with the price of ALL aircraft still very low.

flying aircraft can be as low as 40K and upwards of 70K. Hope this helps

I uploaded some rough pics of the plane. Thanks, info helped, defiantly not a money making project. I called and he said he has R55 and R56, not sure which is the rebuilt. Three propellers in excellent condition one missing a spinner. Aircraft was flying and taken apart, no damage. Unfortunately I do not have a hangar.

• 2 months later...

Archived