Harrison Ford

N441V

Looks like Harrison had to put his Ryan down. Hope the early reports that only minor injuries is the truth. Real helmets guys, not the DC fabric kind either.

I use an old Flight Suits helicopter unit. Early Kevlar and is great for noise. I have it overhauled every ten years. When I get to the hangar I will get the model number. They are not cheap, but as the old Bose headset cost argument, what is your head worth? Have a nice set of gross port headsets to display in the aircraft and when you get down to business, put a real helmet on. I have tried to talk to everyone that has had an incident lately, and the ones I could reach all said that a helmet would have greatly reduced their and their pax injuries.

This all started for me when I was flying an air show at Marysville, Ohio back in the early eighths. Bob Hoover was flying and had an electrical short explode the right fuel cell. He landed in the grass and bailed out at around 20 knots. I was one of the first people on the scene, Bob was cussing like an old goat and it was all aimed at himself. He told me that he was an old fool to fly this military crap in civilian garb. To my knowledge, Bob never again flew military aircraft without wearing fire suppression suits and a proper helmet.

I have several stories about Bob around the airshow circuit and they are all positive learning experiences. He truly is on of my heroes and if Robert A. says this is the way to operate, I will follow his sage advise.

My brain is worth quite a bit more than the helmet, heck, it has hardly been used!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived