Shoulder Harnesses for PT-22s

ladyryanpilot

Hi Everyone,

Attached is a .pdf file discussing the fabrication and installation of shoulder harnesses for the PT-22. Steve Freeman developed this design over time and it is based on FAA

requirements and best support for the pilot and passenger. We have lost members in accidents due to the failure of their harnesses and could have lost Harrison Ford, had he not been wearing a Kevlar Helmet. His shoulder harnesses failed horribly, as we have witnessed his particular installation to do in the past. Steve discusses all this in his article.

If you have not installed shoulder harnesses addressing the issues he covers, please, please...ground your airplane and take care of this.

Regards,

Lynne Orloff

International President Ryan Club

Owner N61646 PT-22

Shoulder Harness for Ryan PT.pdf

• 1 month later...

Attached are 4 views of my crotch strap installation, a little more work than Steve's, and most likely stronger. I manufactured brackets from .063 4130 steel which pick up the lower seat attachments to the seat rails. these brackets also pick up the seat belt attachments on the side of the seats, this is the strongest point of the seat. A pair of 5/32, 1 X 19 S.S. cable are attached to these brackets and brought forward to the single point belt attachment (I covered the cables with Green "Snake Skin" to protect from chaffing). All hardware is shear -4 type and diameter is increased to -5 with bushings. This installation does not require you to drill any holes in the seat except for a 2 inch Footmans loop if desired to hold the belt on the forward edge of the seat within easy reach for use, same as Steve"s. My seats already had wooden supports attached to the forward edge of the seat pan for added protection from slipping forward. I was told by Bill Mette that this was installed at Hemet Ryan Field when my aircraft was still in service. This is a Minor Alteration as no holes were added to Primary Structure as is my understanding of the regulations, but check with your IA, or A&P. I also had to add shims to the top seat attachment between the seat back and rails in order to keep the seat parallel to the seat rails. For this I used .032 2024 T3 aluminum and doubled it up on each for a total thickness of .064. All seat to rail hardware was replace with longer to support the increased thickness added by the brackets and shims.

Chris Nehus

post-39-0-09384000-1446848315_thumb.jpg

post-39-0-27613000-1446848326_thumb.jpg

post-39-0-85839100-1446848336_thumb.jpg

post-39-0-19490800-1446848349_thumb.jpg

Archived