Operational Costs of a PT-22

RayRay

Hello-

I am considering purchasing a PT-22, and would like to get more information on the operating costs of the aircraft. Specifically, I would like to get some ideas on;

-average fuel burn

-average oil consumption

-TBO

-average insurance costs (and the best places to get insurance)

-maintenance costs per flight hour

-overhaul costs

-anything I might be overlooking

I have plenty of flight experience (20 yrs military, ATP, 4,800 hrs) but have no experience or knowledge of the PT-22. I live in the SE US (Atlanta Area) and contact with any local PT-22's and owners would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray Heineman

Hi Ray and welcome. My R-56 powered PT-22 burns 10 gallons/hour and uses 1 qt of oil every 15 hours or so. This varies as I chase minor leaks. I use automotive gas ( the cheapest unleaded and also use Marvel Mystery Oil ( 2oz/5 gallons ). Currently in the Houston area I am paying $1.95/ gallon.

TBO is on condition. In the old days they went about 500 hours, but with modern oils and the 0-470 ring conversion they can go longer. I am at 560 hours since last overhaul and mine is running strong. I did have a top overhaul done about 200 hours ago.

For insurance I go through Butler-Brown Insurance Inc. You get a discount if you are a membr of the Antique Aircraft Association. The actual underwriter is U.S. Specialty Insurance. My hull is underinsured and I pay a yearly premium of $688.00 for $15,000 hull and $500,000 bodily injury. The premium went down in 2005 from 2004.

I do not set aside any money for maint. costs, I just pay as I go. Mine is running well so theres not much involved except fuel and oil, gaskets, tires, etc. My mags were overhauled a couple years back ($400.00) so I don't expect anything in the near future. Try getting a hold of Larry Lee. He is in the Atlanta area and has an ST-a and PT-22. Here is his e-mail address:

larry@plastech.com

Good Luck....

Paul Bretanus

Archived