PT-22 winterization

taylorsmith

hello all,

this will be my first winter with N2ER, and being too cold to fly it here on long island these days, i need some storage advice. any thoughts on the best way to keep the R-56 stored through the winter? i keep the C-85 on my J-5 limbered up by pulling the prop through now and then and a nice, long run up as well. any suggestions for the long "hibernation"?

thanks,

taylor smith

I put desiccant plugs in the front cylinders and cover the exhaust pipes with a baggie with desiccant bags in the bottom of the bag. I also built a little dehydrator that circulates dry air through the breather and out the oil tank cap. Seems to work well. Don't ground run it unless you intend to fly it. That just builds moisture inside the engine that can't escape in the short time of a ground run.

http://www.barkeraircraft.com/Engine-dryer-kit.html

thanks ken.

pretty sad state of affairs at the ryan club if i only get one response from this question. where's all the support and help? is this a "pull up the ladder, i've got mine" mind set from our members? surely there must be others who winterize their ryans/kinners and know what works best.

happy holidays...taylor smith N2ER

Have you tried talking to Elliott Ryan about what he used to do ? Here in Houston we fly year round. I have not seen this topic covered in any literature of the manuals or literature I own.

Paul Bretanus

Archived