Folded Wings: Richard Hawkins

ryanclub

“I owned the world, that hour as I flew over it—free of the earth, free of the clouds, but how inseparably I was bound to them.” - Charles A. Lindbergh, Jr.

We were deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Richard Hawkins, long-time club member and Ryan enthusiast. Richard died in the hospital, Tuesday, shortly after the plane that he and his son, Don, were flying, crashed. Don remains in the hospital in critical condition. See this story for details: http://www.cbs8.com/global/story.asp?s=13819472. Our deepest sympathy to the Hawkins family.

Thanks to Rick Fields for letting us know.

Hi Everyone,

This is an email I received, along with a call from Ron Chapel for a request for anyone that can help with a fly-by in Newport Beach, CA this Friday, or if you can attend services for Richard Hawkins. I understand Terry Freedman is putting together the missing man formation and he can be reached at <ryan48777@yahoo.com> ... They don't care if it's Stearman's, Cub's...whatever you can fly there. Pass the word to all Ryaneers. We have many that are not active on this site. Thanks!

Lynne Orloff

++++++++++++++++email from Ron Chapel...

Hello Ryan Family,

Sorry for the late response. On Monday afternoon Richard and his son Don made an upset landing at Warner Springs Glider port in their Ryan. Richard did not survive the night.

Funeral services are planed for Friday the 14th at 11:00 In New Port Beach at the United Methodist Church 1601 Marguerite Ave Corono Del Mar. Grave side services around the corner at Pacific View Cemetery New Port Beach.

I been involved with the Ryan Group since 1971 at the Ryan fly-in in Paso Robles. Last few years age and commitment has had my on the sidelines but never completely out of touch. Like always at the end of the day Ryan Pilots joined the pattern without a hitch and on time.

There is something magic about the Ryan group. The Hawkins family asked if a fly-by would be possible. Steve Freedman said "Richard "who" we'll be there" without breaking stride. We are planning fly-by at 12:30 to 12:40. This means a lot to the family if it can happen.

I first remember meeting the Hawkins family at Paso Robles 21 years ago and heve been in touch with them briefly a time or two over the years. They are a wonderful family. I am flying into Orange County Friday morning , should get in around 08:30, I will spend the day and fly out late in the afternoon.

If anyone has questions my number is 650 726 9121 at home or cell at 650 759 3195.....

Keep the Ryans Flying, Ron Chapel N53018..

I had the pleasure of meeting Don at the 2004 West Coast Ryan Reunion in San Diego, Ca. The Bretanus family sends their condolences to the

Hawkins family and also wish Don a speedy recovery.

Hi again...here is an accounting of Richard Hawkin's services from Ron Chapel. Lynne Orloff

++++++++++++++++

Subject: Richard Hawkins service..

To: ladyryanpilot@yahoo.com

Cc: allenairwy@aol.com, ryan48777@yahoo.com, RYANSTA@aol.com, sgt985@aol.com

Date: Monday, January 17, 2011, 2:27 PM

Hi Lynn,

I would like you to send this note on to the Ryan group or whoever you used last week.. It worked quit well.

Bill Allen and myself were at the service. The Ryan flyby was pulled off with a three day notice by Terry Freeman, He Center punched the graveside setting at Newport Beach with a pull out exactly over the our location. It was perfect and for me a bit emotional, As Always you could hear the Kinner before you saw it and with the cemetery down in a depressed area it was hard to tell where the airplanes were coming form until they were about a mile out. An extremely clear day, winds on the ground very calm. When I arrived at John Wayne that morning the jet was getting banged around pretty good between 500 and 1000 feet. Terry told me earlier if he had to he would do a solo flyover if need be. He got-er-done with style. It meant a lot to the family and they appreciated it immensely.

Richard Hawkins was class act, every bit as unique as Ryan pilot could be. His laughter as you noted Lynn was most remarked about by those who spoke. I just cant say enough about Richard Hawkins other than to say I feel cheated I din't get to know him and his family better.

I have been having trouble getting to the Ryan Reunion last few years. How bout the next one the Ryans do a missing man for Richard and missing men for Ryaneers gone west. They should not be forgotten. Like all the rest the Ryan family I have wide and varied circle of friends but the Ryans have made a true family. Eeegaadds, how many times have we piled into the same car, cab, restaurant, motel room, house on an island and even the same bed.. Whoa, Ryan pilots rattle more at night than Kinners do in the daytime.

Thanks, Ron, N53018

Archived