Reserve Fuel for TO and Landing

jpelton

Higher head pressure to the carb. It is very easy to run the carb fuel bowl dry in take off power in some configurations. In case of a go around, if deck angle is high and fuel qty is low engine will quit due to fuel loss to the carb. The carb fuel inlet metering jet has also been increased in dia. to help with this issue.

Thank you so much for the explanation. I really like to know all the details on aircraft systems, it is the aircraft engineer in me. I find it interesting. I will be flying my PT22 up to Oshkosh this year.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Since my last post I have heard that RESERVE feeds via the standpipe, thereby keeping some fuel in reserve, whereas ON is from the bottom of the tank, thereby using all of the fuel.

Can someone tell me which fuel selection is via the standpipe? And, is it possible to connect the tank to the selector either way so ON or RESERVE could feed via the standpipe, depending upon the installation?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

With the fuel selector in the horizontal position you should be on Reserve which picks up the fuel from the bottom of the tank (no stand pipe). This is the position for Take off and Landing. Be sure and check if you have a front seater, or fat feet in the rear....its easy to kick the selector getting in and out causing a position other than the detent. The engine will run, but fuel starvation can occur during any high power settings. Vertical position is either Off or Main, I believe tail down is OFF, Tail to the Right or Inboard is Reserve, and Tail up is Main on the selector arm..

Yes it is possible to incorrectly plumb the tank to valve position. You need to check if unsure.

• 3 weeks later...

We had an off field landing in Germany due to wrong conection of the fuel lines! Make shure they are conected like Chris described and check it by fueling about 4 Gal. You should only get fuel to the carb with the selector in RESERVE position. I also would highly recomend to get the bigger metering jet in the carb as I had experienced fuel problems on a go around. Bradley Ball has them.

hope to see you all in OSH and at Lynne´s party

THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE IN AVIATION THAT DON'T BELIEVE IN DRAINING FUEL SUMPS TO CHECK FOR WATER. SO, IF YOU USE THE RESERVE SETTING FOR TAKE OFF AND THERE HAPPENS TO BE A LITTLE WATER THERE, YOU WILL NOT LIKELY GET IN THE AIR. THE REST OF THE TALK ON THIS SUBJECT IS VERY TRUE ALSO.

ROBERT L. PHILLIPS

N47451 & N9028W

Archived