ADS-B

cnehus

If you fly in complex airspace like I do living In Southern California you may want to consider installing a mode S transponder and ADS-B. Now the good news is we are still exempt as we do not have An engine driven electrical system. Bad news is access to the airspace is on a work load acceptance from ATC. Well no matter how much notice I give So Cal I have yet been allowed access into the airspace prior to installation of a transponder.

Around three years ago I installed a Becker mode C Transponder with a blind encoder which was powered by a 9 amp/ hr alarm battery as a total loss system and received FAA Field Approval for the installation. This allowed for around 12 hours of use between battery charge cycles. Now I have removed the Becker and Blind encoder and installed and received FAA field approval for a Trig TT22 mode S transponder and TN70 blind WAAS GPS unit giving me a lot of new capabilities and still 12 hours of use between charging and ADS-B out, 2020 approved. Coupled to your iPad with a STRATUX you can now get inflight weather, moving maps, charts, TFR, traffic and much more. Even AHRS is available with some FREE programs like FlightPlan.go, STRATUX, or pay for  Foreflight. Adding a STRATUX for around 250.00 on eBay or build it yourself for less ( see stratux.me for details ) allowed me to get rid of the paper charts and Airport guide.....it's all on your iPad. 

I'm a paper guy and struggled with this tablet stuff for years but even Pilots Guide is no longer available in paper.....only electronic subscriptions. Even the local pilots shop stopped stocking paper sectionals and I've had to mail oreder them for the past few years. I've dodged and weaved my way around and under the local airspace for 25 years, well no longer. I will still keep a paper sectional in the cockpit for back up, I just can't seem to give it up! Now I fly directly over Burbank Airport or call them up and go right thru without issue. 

I know this is not for everyone, part of the joy of the Ryan is flying basic again, but it is possible if you want to do it. 

Chris Nehus

cnehus@verizon.net

Archived