Exhaust repair or parts

R William Holder

I am in need for a #1 exhaust stack for a PT-22 with a Kinner R55, Ryan part No. E1113 and the exhaust collector part no. E1352.

Or if you know of someone that can weld them up?

Is there a list of suppliers for parts for both the PT22 and Kinner ?

Seems like most of the well known have died or gotten out of the business.

I'm hoping joining the club will help me keep this plane flying for my friend and customer.

Bill Holder, Brokenstraw Airport (P15), Pittsfield, PA

IMG_0917.JPG

IMG_0923.JPG

Bill,

Dawley (advertise in Trade-a-Plane) does a great job on exhaust systems.  No real parts outlets anymore that I know of.  Several people have a personal stock that they might part with.  Jeffery Kromer (815-266-1064) has been pretty good for parts.  I would recommend that you have the exhaust ceramic coated.  I have done this to several exhaust's and they never seem to wear out due to exhaust gases.  
Regards,

Ron

Bill, that is not good news.  Dawley did several projects for me with antiques and warbirds.  They were not inexpensive but their workmanship was outstanding.  Please let me know if you find a decent shop.  I would like to have the Kinner #2 exhaust rotated about 30 degrees to not discharge onto the intake scoop.  If you rotate without modification, it sticks pretty much straight up and can let rain in if parked outside.

As an aside, Kenny Chapman happen to mention that he thought the intake scoop was not original.  I researched this issue and found that he was correct.  The intake scoop was not standard issue until around S/N 1704.  I have never seen a civilian Ryan without a scoop so I am assuming that they were retrofitted by the Army.  The way that #2 exhaust impinges on the scoop, it must have really paid hell with the air filter and heated up the intake air. 

Ron