BRAKES

danmooney

Dan,

SN 1683 had Cleveland brakes when I bought it, so I haven't any experience with the old Shinn system and cannot comment on the "is it worth it" question.

I can tell you that the system wasn't very good when I got it, but only due to "mixing" of the old and new components. The brake system had apparently been serviced with Mil-5606 fluid - as to be expected with the Clevelands. However, since the old Shinn master cylinders are retained - and the seals within prefer automotive fluid - the system fluid was pretty nasty, the master cylinder piston seals were shot, and and there was significant corrosion and pitting in the master cylinder barrels which caused a lot of brake dragging. I managed to polish the cylinders without going significantly over-size, and since the piston assemblies I had were the "new" O-ring type (vs. cup seals), I was able to replace the seals with Mil-5606 compliant O-rings. After flushing the system and a week of bleeding, the brakes were absolutely perfect.

Having trouble attaching file to this message, so will try to send you separate message with the 337 from 1981, in case that might help.

By the way, unfortunate news regards my aircraft and her stupid pilot. While hopping rides during Memorial day weekend, I managed to leave the oil shutoff valve closed between flights (lots of people yakking during preflight is my only weak excuse). Lost oil pressure within 5 minutes, but landing OK with no airframe damage. However, my 15 hour TSMOH Kinner is now seized. Good news is since wings are off I will strip, clean, repair and recover all surfaces (last recover was 1981, and flaps, ailerons, v. fin and h. stabs are still Irish linen...) - so she should be in great shape and maybe will forgive me by the time I can get the engine back to Al Ball for repairs.

Best Regards,

Bob Roth

Can you please forward me a copy of the 337 form for the breaks as well. I hope to have "approved" 337 copies of these field repairs on file through this site for ease of duplication on these mods.

Thanks

chris nehus

cnehus@verizon.net

Dan,

SN 1683 had Cleveland brakes when I bought it, so I haven't any experience with the old Shinn system and cannot comment on the "is it worth it" question.

I can tell you that the system wasn't very good when I got it, but only due to "mixing" of the old and new components. The brake system had apparently been serviced with Mil-5606 fluid - as to be expected with the Clevelands. However, since the old Shinn master cylinders are retained - and the seals within prefer automotive fluid - the system fluid was pretty nasty, the master cylinder piston seals were shot, and and there was significant corrosion and pitting in the master cylinder barrels which caused a lot of brake dragging. I managed to polish the cylinders without going significantly over-size, and since the piston assemblies I had were the "new" O-ring type (vs. cup seals), I was able to replace the seals with Mil-5606 compliant O-rings. After flushing the system and a week of bleeding, the brakes were absolutely perfect.

Having trouble attaching file to this message, so will try to send you separate message with the 337 from 1981, in case that might help.

By the way, unfortunate news regards my aircraft and her stupid pilot. While hopping rides during Memorial day weekend, I managed to leave the oil shutoff valve closed between flights (lots of people yakking during preflight is my only weak excuse). Lost oil pressure within 5 minutes, but landing OK with no airframe damage. However, my 15 hour TSMOH Kinner is now seized. Good news is since wings are off I will strip, clean, repair and recover all surfaces (last recover was 1981, and flaps, ailerons, v. fin and h. stabs are still Irish linen...) - so she should be in great shape and maybe will forgive me by the time I can get the engine back to Al Ball for repairs.

Best Regards,

Bob Roth

Bob

Sorry to hear about your engine. What type of shut off valve are you using I want to put one on my plane? The PT-22 I used to have had the original Shinns and they were OK. I had a local brake and clutch shop make me some new linings and lightly turn the drums they worked pretty good. I just thought if I could find a reasonably priced used set of Cleveland it might be worth doing it now while I am doing everything else.

Thanks

Dan

Dan,

Best Regards,

Bob Roth

Bob

Sorry to hear about your engine. What type of shut off valve are you using I want to put one on my plane? The PT-22 I used to have had the original Shinns and they were OK. I had a local brake and clutch shop make me some new linings and lightly turn the drums they worked pretty good. I just thought if I could find a reasonably priced used set of Cleveland it might be worth doing it now while I am doing everything else.

Thanks

Dan

Dan,

My aircraft just has a standard in-line ball type valve installed immediately below the oil tank. No control or indication from the cockpit. Al Ball and others have recommended a Bowden cable running to the cockpit, but I haven't seen any such installation yet. Probably a good idea. Will for sure fabricate something more "pilot proof".

Bob

An easy way to make this fool proof is add a ground circuit between the oil shut off valve handle and left hand magneto. If the oil valve is off it should take the left hand mag to ground and you will have a long time to think about it while you are hand proping as it will not start. When valve is on, the ground to the mag is removed and only your mag switch will now supply a ground while in the off position. Nothing fancy....no lights....no power....no cables. Just a single ground wire and micro switch makes you safe. Remember if the mag "P" lead is grounded you have shut off the magneto, no left hand mag, no engine start as this is the starting (Impulsed) magneto. If you happen to get her started on just the right hand mag (if you select both during start) some way you have a second chance to chatch something is wrong during your mag check as you will have no left mag. Some of us only start on left mag and select both after start.

If this circuit should somehow fail in flight and ground your left mag the right is not affected. It is just a simple circuit to the left hand mag with two switches, both must be open to remove the ground and allow the mag to fire.

If you need help let me know.

Chris Nehus

An easy way to make this fool proof is add a ground circuit between the oil shut off valve handle and left hand magneto. If the oil valve is off it should take the left hand mag to ground and you will have a long time to think about it while you are hand proping as it will not start. When valve is on, the ground to the mag is removed and only your mag switch will now supply a ground while in the off position. Nothing fancy....no lights....no power....no cables. Just a single ground wire and micro switch makes you safe. Remember if the mag "P" lead is grounded you have shut off the magneto, no left hand mag, no engine start as this is the starting (Impulsed) magneto. If you happen to get her started on just the right hand mag (if you select both during start) some way you have a second chance to chatch something is wrong during your mag check as you will have no left mag. Some of us only start on left mag and select both after start.

If this circuit should somehow fail in flight and ground your left mag the right is not affected. It is just a simple circuit to the left hand mag with two switches, both must be open to remove the ground and allow the mag to fire.

Chris Nehus

Chris,

Thanks Chris - that's a great fool-proofing idea, I think I will pursue something along those lines when I get her back together again. Didn't really like the idea of running a cable to the rear cockpit.

By the way; did you receive the Cleveland 337? Sent it via e-mail last week, but not sure it went through as scanned document was large.

Best Regards,

Bob

Chris Nehus

Chris,

Thanks Chris - that's a great fool-proofing idea, I think I will pursue something along those lines when I get her back together again. Didn't really like the idea of running a cable to the rear cockpit.

By the way; did you receive the Cleveland 337? Sent it via e-mail last week, but not sure it went through as scanned document was large.

Best Regards,

Bob

Yes I did...THANKS! Chris

Archived