Bill Mette

cnehus

Long time Ryan owner, Ryan guru, gentleman, and all around great guy Bill Mette went west yesterday, August 24, 2015 at 09:30. All the Old Time Ryan owners have a special Bill Mette story or tall tail. Bill was one of a kind and ALWAYS willing to help a fellow pilot. So much of the information I pass on to all of you originally came to me from Bill. All the old Ryan Newsletters contained tips and guidance from Bill that helps us all "Keep The Ryan's Flyin" and kept us safe. Bill will be greatly missed and it is each and everyone of our duties to not let him be forgotten. Please pass on all those Bill Mette stories to the next generation of Ryanieers and keep Bill and his family in our thoughts.

Chris Nehus

Danny Don sent me this Email this morning and ask I post it.

"Bill was THE one person who was the most instrumental in my getting a Ryan...up in Sonoma, he took me for a ride in a PT-22 that I was looking at a few years before I found mine up in Twin Falls. He over-nighted me brake shoes that allowed me to make the Paso Robles fly-in on my trip home from there.....and over the years, he has provided me with parts...everything from those brake shoes to cam gears, and was an absolute gold mine for technical info on the care and feeding of the Ryan. He was a great guy with a heart of gold. I took him for what was probably his last ride in a Ryan at one of the Cable PT fly-ins a few years ago (thanks to Gary Niva for bringing him)...we had a great time, but I still kick myself for not taking him aside and thanking him again for all his help over the years....another lost opportunity...lost forever..."

Danny Don

Bill Mette was loved by all of us. He would fly all day to get somewhere with the rest of us and then give rides to almost anyone that requested one. His Ryan was the most recognized at any function with its field numbers of 178 and his unpolished fuselage. On our trips, he would fly down low, buzzing every farmer's field, every uncontrolled field and on more than one occasion his map would be blown out of his cockpit yet he would still show up at our next fuel stop! We all have wonderful Mette stories to share.

His memorial will be September 27th, 2015 at 300 Curtner Avenue, San Jose, CA at 11AM. If you plan to attend, and particularily if you plan to go to the family home after the service, please let Bob Mette at outsurfing@sbcglobal.net know.

Happy Landings!

Lynne Orloff

Archived