James R. Rogers

Paul281

It is with deep sadness that I report the passing of long-time Ryan PT-22 owner James R. Rogers. Jim was killed on the test flight of his experimental Lancair 360 after departing Martha's Vineyard, Ma. Jim still owned Ryan PT-22 N56434 c/n 1560 which he had up for sale in recent months. He was active in the local EAA Chapter and at one time was president. He was also a flight instructor, glider tow pilot and A&P.

I was fortunate to fly with Jim in his Ryan back on July 6, 2002 while I had a 3 day layover. We had a great flight and I appreciated his hospitality as I hung around his hanger for days on end.

Paul Bretanus

President

International Ryan Club

post-1-1242483413_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

Dear Paul Bretanus, To follow up on your article on James R. "Jim" Rogers, I purchased the Ryan PT22 56434 from Jim's wife Andrea last week and the plane will be making its new home at Cannon Creek Airpark, Lake City, Florida. My Wife and I spend 6 days flying it from Martha's Vineyard to Florida. Airplane flew great. Had a wonderful trip. We followed weather south and was over nighted for two days at Orange Co. NY and Reading.Pa. I am sad that I never got to meet this remarkable pilot after meeting his friends and family. Mike Creato at Katama Airport was a great help in getting me back in a tail dragger. Sincerely, Jack Gordon

Congratulations Jack. Enjoy the Ryan. If we can be of service, don't hesitate to contact us.

Paul Bretanus

• 3 months later...
Congratulations Jack. Enjoy the Ryan. If we can be of service, don't hesitate to contact us.

Paul Bretanus

Hello to both of you, I am Jim Rogers' biggest fan. His daughter Jena. I saw that you wrote something reallly nice about him. I also saw that Jack is the new owner of the Ryan. I was sad to find that it's gone but I know no one in my family would've ever flown it. My husband James flew with my dad in the Ryan and loved it. I know it's a beauty. How did you and my dad know each other? I joined your club to keep in touch. N360JR Forever! Jennifer Rogers-Turner

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 3 day trip to the Vineyard and remembered a Ryan being based there. I made contact with your Dad and hung around the hangar the whole time. He was kind enough to take me for a ride. I lost my Father earlier this year. It gets better. Take care.

Paul

Archived