Ryan PT-22 Sales Inquiry (N54014)

tgkeller

Forum Members,

I just joined your forum today for the specific purpose of helping a close friend determine the value of a PT-22 and assist with a possible sale. Picture is attached. Aircraft is complete including powerplant, but currently disassembled. Aircraft is located in Pennsylvania. Again, I would appreciate any help determining value (perhaps past sales info) and possible leads to buyers. Please channel questions through me and I will do my best to provide answers as quickly as possible. Thanks very much in advance.

Respectfully,

Tom Keller, Colonel, USAF (retired)

post-5345-0-09841300-1437683842_thumb.jp

Folks, I need to apologize. The photo I originally posted was the wrong photo and was a mistake. The correct photo is attached along with some history.

"....Tom, I sent you the wrong picture! This is the actual plane, N54014. This is the history I have:

The plane was discovered in a hangar in New Mexico in 1952. It was in near new condition. Showing less than 300 hours. The buyer had an extensive inspection and it was relicensed late 1952. It was flown by a father and son for one year, then dismantled and stored with a total of 416 hours and no damage history. It was sold in 1979. I have a name and address in palm dessert, CA, but a number no longer in service. We bought the plane in 1998 and we did very little work only polishing the fuselage. His friends tell me that all the parts are there in his hangar...."

Again, thanks in advance for your help,

Tom Keller, Colonel, USAF (retired)

post-5345-0-87994200-1437962060_thumb.pn

well guys here is how I go about determining value, A nice condition, flying PT22 is worth around 65K at best. This aircraft would need recovering (20K), Engine Overhaul due to age (30K), Propeller ??(4.5K). These are just the big ticket items.....tires, instruments, hardware, paint....the list goes on.

Do the math and you will see that it is very likely you will have more invested in this aircraft than its worth. That's not to say it does not have any value. These aircraft are a labor of love, that said you have to find someone who is ABLE and WILLING to love her again with the time money and resources it would take. You will never get rich owning a Ryan....but you will have the time of your life!

Sight unseen you are looking at around 10K to 15K.

Archived