Gone West

cnehus

It is with the greatest sorrow that I need to post this. My long time friend who I thought of as my Father, Angelo Regina passed away today. He was a long time Ryan owner who stuck with me, looking out for me no matter what stupid thing I did. Me made me a better person, and Pilot. He flew 747 for Tigers and later Federal Express, but loved his PT22. Angelo befriended me when I was a young man with fours hours of Ryan time under my belt. We all met at Santa Paula Airport for the flight to the Annual Ryan Reunion flight to Paso Robles. Back then. It was a meeting of 15 to 25 Ryan’s for a weekend of fun and food. I was the youngest and newest member and many did not give me the time of day as they had seen “ my type “ come and go. Angelo took me under his wing from that day on. We became Father and Son, where you found one of us the other was by his side.  We shared his hanger at Camarillo Airport where we enjoyed our aircraft and each other for the past 20  plus years and were family. Angelo is one of the most giving persons I have ever had the pleasure of being part of my life. Most did not get to known him as I did....he put up a bit of a front with strangers. He always told me to “ Watch out for the winnies, they will kill you! “. 
  My first real exposure to formation flight was under his watchful eye, flying his wing. He would look over and give me a grin as his finger would signal me to get closer and closer followed by a smile of confidence. He had great pride in me and I the greatest respect for him. He held on to his Ryan until a couple of months ago. I had the pleasure of delivering it for him to his Brother Pete Regina at Van Nuys who shipped it to Germany for its next adventure. 
  This bond between us would have never transpired if not for the Ryan PT22 and two men, their love of aviation, adventure, food, and friendship. Angelo will alway be my instructor in my front seat along for every flight. My Weight and Balance as been amended to reflect this change. We will both be looking out for the winnies! 
  I promised Angelo years ago when the time came I would spread his ashes, anyone interested in joining let me know and I will update you when details develop. 

chris nehus

cnehus@verizon.net

N53271