oil consumption

taylorsmith

hello all..my name is taylor smith and i bought elliott ryan's beautiful PT-22 N2ER. it has flown very little in the past 2 years. perhaps 4 hours total. i seem to be burning up to 3 qts per hour. i have flown it about 10 hours with no decrease in oil burn/consumption. the engine has 185 hours SMOH. any suggestions to decrease this excessive oil burn?

hello all..my name is taylor smith and i bought elliott ryan's beautiful PT-22 N2ER. it has flown very little in the past 2 years. perhaps 4 hours total. i seem to be burning up to 3 qts per hour. i have flown it about 10 hours with no decrease in oil burn/consumption. the engine has 185 hours SMOH. any suggestions to decrease this excessive oil burn?

My guess is that you have Chrome cylinders which are very hard to break in on the Kinner with it's low compression (5.5 to 1). Also oil type will make a differance, you should be using Aero Shell 120. I have tried some of the other oils including Phillips multi weight and the shell seems to be the best choice. Try using the shell 120 and run it on the hard side to see if the oil consumption comes down, must likly it will not. I have changed my old chrome cylinders with Antique Aero Engines for "New Chrome" which seem to be working great. Breakin was accomplished in around 5 hours and consumption is down to a Qt. every 8 to 10 hours.

Other causes could be Valve guides on the R56. The oil pressure lines on the lower valve train can have a small restrictor placed in them to limit the amount of oil being pumped into them and could help.

Other people have also used very fine lapping compound to seat the rings prior to installation of the cylinder on the engine. I have not tried this but understand it does work.

Al Ball of Antique Aero engines is a good source for service and info for all you Kinner needs. Also feel free to call me with any other questions

Chris Nehus

818-825-4252

chris,

thanks for your response. i'm flying the PT out to hugo bartel tomorrow, located near altoona, pa. we're replacing three heads and will look at the source of the high oil burn/consumption at that time. i'm running phillips xc in it now, but hugo suggests running aeroshell 100, which i'll do. i do have chrome cylinders. i may also do the ring conversion if he suggests it. thanks again for the reply. taylor smith N2ER

chris,

thanks for your response. i'm flying the PT out to hugo bartel tomorrow, located near altoona, pa. we're replacing three heads and will look at the source of the high oil burn/consumption at that time. i'm running phillips xc in it now, but hugo suggests running aeroshell 100, which i'll do. i do have chrome cylinders. i may also do the ring conversion if he suggests it. thanks again for the reply. taylor smith N2ER

Taylor, I have lost track of Elliott. Can you e-mail or message me his address or #. I have some blueprints of his I would like to return. Have fun with the Ryan !!

Paul Bretanus

President

International Ryan Club

paul_bretanus@hines.com

paul..elliott's phone numbers are...h- (610) 838-7564 c- (631) 332-8289....he's living in pa. now...doing well..bought a trailaire and is restoring a sperry...saw him friday and he looks well.....his PT (mine) is a beautiful restoration....now the kinner is in hugo bartel's hands, for some tlc...hugo's place/shop, etc is amazing! ...taylor N2ER

When I had my first Ryan in the 70's, I put it together with surplus rings from Carl Baker and Co. Burned 2 qarts per hour. messy!. Wayne Amalang got me a set of cast iron rings new production. Got down to about 1/2 Qt. per hour. Not messy. My current engine (R-55) assembled by Al Ball with nuchrome cylinders and 470 ring mod: insignificant oil burn. Last 4 years, I have averaged 25 hours per year and didn't add oil entire year between changes. Oil burn probably 1 qt. 8 to 10 hours. Rings seemed to break in first hour. Oil temp was a problem previously but not on this engine. Doesn't go above 180 F on hottest day. Unbelievable difference. Very nice!! Bob Williams 816-456-7767

Archived