INTERIOR PAINT

danmooney

I am restoring a PT-22. Can someone suggest a paint that is the correct color and type for the interior, I belive they were just zinc chromate but I would like to put something on that has better protection. Also, looking at the Ploy Fiber color chart what is the best match for the yellow.

Thank You

Dan

I am restoring a PT-22. Can someone suggest a paint that is the correct color and type for the interior, I belive they were just zinc chromate but I would like to put something on that has better protection. Also, looking at the Ploy Fiber color chart what is the best match for the yellow.

Thank You

Dan

Dan,

There is an epoxy-based zinc chromate available, which is more durable "washable" and etc. However, after priming with traditional zinc chromate, I used a little less elegant solution for cockpit interior finish coat last year; Rust-o-leum "Army Green". It is nearly a perfect match for green zinc chromate, but has a gloss finish and thus good durability. Finish is holding up very well so far.

Have you been able to obtain wing drawings yet? Contact information for the NASM Archives Division is:

The Smithsonian Institution

P.O. Box 37012

National Air and Space Museum

Archives Division, Room 3100, MRC 322

Washington, D.C. 20013-7012

Tele. No. + 1 202 357-3133

E-Mail Reference.Desk@nasm.si.edu

Seems they've got just about every drawing on microfilm for about $35.00 per roll, including shipping, plus a large number of full-size paper drawings for around $10 to $30 each. I'll try again to get copies of my wing drawings made this week.

Good Luck,

Bob Roth

Thank You

Dan

Dan,

There is an epoxy-based zinc chromate available, which is more durable "washable" and etc. However, after priming with traditional zinc chromate, I used a little less elegant solution for cockpit interior finish coat last year; Rust-o-leum "Army Green". It is nearly a perfect match for green zinc chromate, but has a gloss finish and thus good durability. Finish is holding up very well so far.

Have you been able to obtain wing drawings yet? Contact information for the NASM Archives Division is:

P.O. Box 37012

Seems they've got just about every drawing on microfilm for about $35.00 per roll, including shipping, plus a large number of full-size paper drawings for around $10 to $30 each. I'll try again to get copies of my wing drawings made this week.

Good Luck,

Bob Roth

Bob

Thank you for the info and yes I did get the drawings. I contacted the San Deigo Aerospace Museum and got them last night. Just what I needed. I think I am going with the Poly Fiber Epoxy Green Primer for the inside.

Dan

Federal Standard paint has a code for "Interior Green" It is a flat poly urthane paint which is a match for the interior green zinc chromate color. Zinc Chromate is really yellowish and to brite for interior. Most aircraft Mfgs mixed black in with it for interiors. Zinc Chromate had no "Federal Standard" for color and was different colors and shades. Google "Federal standard paint " and you should find a color chart, I think the code is FS 34151. I found a vendor on the east coast which will mix it for around 100.00 per Qt., let me know if you want his info.

Chris Nehus

Thank You

Dan

Dan,

P.O. Box 37012

Good Luck,

Bob Roth

Bob

Thank you for the info and yes I did get the drawings. I contacted the San Deigo Aerospace Museum and got them last night. Just what I needed. I think I am going with the Poly Fiber Epoxy Green Primer for the inside.

Dan

Call Dick Creek @ Aero Coat Source LLC @ 856-428-8145. FS 34151 is interior Green and I came up with FS34052 for the green anti glare on top of the fuselace as the best match to Bronze Green. The stuff is 100.00 per Qt for the color and 60.00 per Qt for the actavitor which is mixed 3:1. I just ordered mine yesterday. Do you have the placards for the inside?

Chris Nehus

Call Dick Creek @ Aero Coat Source LLC @ 856-428-8145. FS 34151 is interior Green and I came up with FS34052 for the green anti glare on top of the fuselace as the best match to Bronze Green. The stuff is 100.00 per Qt for the color and 60.00 per Qt for the actavitor which is mixed 3:1. I just ordered mine yesterday. Do you have the placards for the inside?

Chris Nehus

Chris

Thank you for theinfo on the paint I will follow up. And NO i don't have the placards for the inside, are they available?

Dan Mooney

Chris Nehus

Chris

Thank you for theinfo on the paint I will follow up. And NO i don't have the placards for the inside, are they available?

Dan Mooney

Chris Nehus

Chris

Dan Mooney

I am working with Terry Freedman to see if his vendor saved the file after his were made. He had a mask made and painted them on. I saw them and they looked great. Send me your email and I can fwd a couple of pictures. So far the vendor cannot find the file but it has only been a day and he is still looking.

cnehus@verizon.net

Archived