doubler cracking

cnehus

Two aircraft have been found to have cracking on the doubler plates where the horizontal stab attaches in the tail cone area. This area can be inspected viewing forward from the lower rudder/tail wheel area. Cracks are in the area where the horizontal bolts attach the horizontal stab, in the doubler plate. I have tried to upload pictures of this area but can not. If you would like the pictures please email me and I can forward, cnehus@verizon.net. I believe this area was an issue while these aircraft were in military service and the doubler was added to prevent this problem. I hope to inspect my aircraft this weekend.

Chris Nehus

Two aircraft have been found to have cracking on the doubler plates where the horizontal stab attaches in the tail cone area. This area can be inspected viewing forward from the lower rudder/tail wheel area. Cracks are in the area where the horizontal bolts attach the horizontal stab, in the doubler plate. I have tried to upload pictures of this area but can not. If you would like the pictures please email me and I can forward, cnehus@verizon.net. I believe this area was an issue while these aircraft were in military service and the doubler was added to prevent this problem. I hope to inspect my aircraft this weekend.

Chris Nehus

I have inspected mine as well as one other and no cracking was noted.

Chris Nehus

Thanks Chris, I'll send you an e-mail shortly. Glad to see activity in this group.

I found a Ryan Service Bulletin note on this subject dated Sept 15, 1944. Applies to S/N 1001 to 2249, inclusive. Bulkhead 8 and 8 1/2 are reinforced in accordance with Ryan Bulletin No. 1055 at the attachment of the front and rear stabilizer spar attaching brackets. So far I can not locate a copy of that bulletin.

I found that Essco has Ryan ST3-KR Service Bulletins and ordered the manual on line. Should arrive witin a week or so, it was around $26.00.

Chris

Chris Nehus

Thanks Chris, I'll send you an e-mail shortly. Glad to see activity in this group.

I found a Ryan Service Bulletin note on this subject dated Sept 15, 1944. Applies to S/N 1001 to 2249, inclusive. Bulkhead 8 and 8 1/2 are reinforced in accordance with Ryan Bulletin No. 1055 at the attachment of the front and rear stabilizer spar attaching brackets. So far I can not locate a copy of that bulletin.

I found that Essco has Ryan ST3-KR Service Bulletins and ordered the manual on line. Should arrive witin a week or so, it was around $26.00.

Chris

After reviewing the pictures of one of the aircraft with a cracked doubler, a copy of Service Bulletin 1055 and three aircraft I have found the following:

The doubler installed which was found to be cracked does not look to be an original Ryan part. It's shape is different and it's installation is not the same. Ryan supplied doublers pre drilled for this mod, the aircraft affected was installed with a different rivet placement and spaceing. The affected part also has several relief cuts where it joins the fuselage skin, the Ryan part does not. After close review I have come to believe that the Service Bulletin was not C/W correct and/or with the wrong materials.

We all should still inspect our aircraft and keep an eye on this area as all aircraft were modified in the field and could have similar issues.

If anyone would like a copy of service bulletin 1055 email me at cnehus@verizon.net.

Chris Nehus

Chris

After reviewing the pictures of one of the aircraft with a cracked doubler, a copy of Service Bulletin 1055 and three aircraft I have found the following:

The doubler installed which was found to be cracked does not look to be an original Ryan part. It's shape is different and it's installation is not the same. Ryan supplied doublers pre drilled for this mod, the aircraft affected was installed with a different rivet placement and spaceing. The affected part also has several relief cuts where it joins the fuselage skin, the Ryan part does not. After close review I have come to believe that the Service Bulletin was not C/W correct and/or with the wrong materials.

We all should still inspect our aircraft and keep an eye on this area as all aircraft were modified in the field and could have similar issues.

If anyone would like a copy of service bulletin 1055 email me at cnehus@verizon.net.

Chris Nehus

Received pictures of one other cracked doubler yesterday. This one was cracked in the same area around the nut and WAS installed per the Ryan service bulletin. Keep looking at this area!

• 1 month later...

Chris

Chris Nehus

Received pictures of one other cracked doubler yesterday. This one was cracked in the same area around the nut and WAS installed per the Ryan service bulletin. Keep looking at this area!

I had checked mine before , no cracks found (as I previously wrote to Chris) Have enclosed the bulletin which I bought last year. I also have the others, #1038 , #1048, #1053, #1055, ##1058-1061, #1064. Here are some pics of my plane before and after some work :-)

Hope it helps somebody to keep the Ryans flying

regards,

Dietmar

N59GD from Austria/EU

post-171-1243366142_thumb.jpg

post-171-1243366154_thumb.jpg

post-171-1243366167_thumb.jpg

post-171-1243366182_thumb.jpg

post-171-1243366192_thumb.jpg

post-171-1243366209_thumb.jpg

post-171-1243366251_thumb.jpg

post-171-1243366261_thumb.jpg